Monday, November 14, 2011

Grant Them Eternal Peace, Amen

IMG00729-20111114-1036

As a child, i remember being left at home with my Mah Mah while Mom, Dad and Yeh Yeh head to the cemetery to pay their respect to my late greatgrandparents on All Souls' Day. Years later, Dad felt that i was grown up enough to finally 'meet' my greatgrandparents and decided to grant me my first cemetery visit. Although i was excited about getting an opportunity to say hello to Greatgrandma and Greatgrandpa, i was nervous too. Will there be spirits roaming around? What if i bumped into one? A cemetery isn't exactly a tween's ideal playground.

Soon enough, the fear began to diminish (especially after the departure of my dear grandparents) and in its place was a sense of calm. Cemetery visits were no longer an annual event. We stopped by on Christmas Day, on death anniversaries and whenever we felt like it.

Although their deaths mean i now have an unlimited access to them (i speak to them when my heart desires), having a physical place to go to and a physical object to target my conversations to somehow decreases the feeling of loss.

Dear Lord, i ask that you please bless my deceased loved ones with eternal peace and joy, and that the perpetual light continue to shine upon them. Till we meet again, rest in peace and know that you will always be loved and never forgotten.

No comments: